POSITION SPECIFICATION October 2016
POSITION: Vice President, Global Affairs
ORGANIZATION: Hospital for Special Surgery
for Special Surgery (HSS) was founded in 1863 and is recognized as a world
leader in musculoskeletal medicine. Though located in
HSS has been a leader in pioneering new procedures, including: pioneering the modern total knee replacement; designing a revolutionary fiber optic probe for distinguishing healthy and diseased cartilage during surgery; developing new imaging protocols for MRI evaluation of cartilage; pioneering the development of minimally invasive spine surgery techniques that eliminate the need for spinal fusion; perfecting surgical techniques for minimally invasive hip and knee procedures, minimizing hospital stays for qualified patients; and leading the world in the application of regional anesthesia techniques.
The Hospital’s research division occupies an influential position in the world of musculoskeletal science. A major goal of the research division is to foster translational research through the establishment of teams that bring clinicians and basic scientists together to solve disease-related problems and to translate research findings and accomplishments into new technologies that improve patient care and outcomes.
HSS’s excellence in
patient care and innovation is reflected in the many awards and recognitions it
has received. HSS is nationally ranked No. 1 in orthopedics and No. 3 in
rheumatology by U.S. News & World
Report (2015-16) and is the first hospital in
physicians are team doctors for the New York Mets, New York Giants, New York
Knicks, New York Liberty, and New York Red Bulls. HSS is the Official Hospital
of The PGA of
For more information on Hospital for Special Surgery, please visit its website: www.hss.edu.
As part of its mission to provide the highest-quality musculoskeletal care and improve the quality of life throughout the world, HSS facilitates best-practice knowledge transfers and a variety of partnerships with the international musculoskeletal-medicine community.
pursues relationships with organizations that have a similar mission and vision:
dedicated to high-quality patient care, academic excellence, and cutting-edge
research. Partnerships and initiatives may be academic, clinical,
research-based, operational, and organizational, as well as administrative, or
a combination of any of these focus areas. Depending on the circumstances, HSS also
provides training and education of physicians in their homeland or in the
currently has global partnerships in education and training, humanitarian work,
and business development in numerous countries around the world, including
HSS is now seeking a VP, Global Affairs to oversee international strategic initiatives supporting the HSS mission. The VP will report directly to the Senior Vice President, Global and Academic Affairs.
Vice President will have direct responsibility for the Department of Global
Academic Partnerships, the
The VP will have fiscal accountability and responsibility for staff development, management, and staff performance.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Develop an extensive understanding of the institution, its strategy and mission, and the global strategic plan and priorities.
· Actively participate in hospital-wide strategic planning and leadership.
· Be knowledgeable about the global environment as it relates to healthcare leadership and all current HSS global activities; strategize on ways to leverage existing relationships and create new revenue streams.
Develop a business plan for growth in the
· Develop programs and corresponding financial models for new global relationships; generate proposals to develop new business opportunities; determine resources required for new opportunities.
· Explore opportunities to further develop HSS’s international reputation and brand; market HSS partnerships globally; oversee the development of branded materials for all global initiatives.
· Lead contractual agreements with international partners and deliver on contractual obligations.
· Provide superior customer service to all constituencies.
· Provide global partners with status reports on a timely basis.
· Develop an internal communication plan for engagement and onboarding of HSS staff and faculty involved in global initiatives.
· Using knowledge of pricing and financial modeling, manage program and department budgets.
· Provide leadership for department and staff using sound performance management principles to establish a team-based culture in which employees feel valued and are motivated and highly engaged.
· Master’s Degree in Health Administration, International Affairs, Public Health or an M.B.A. in a related field is required.
EXPERIENCE, COMPETENCIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
· A professional with significant management/leadership experience (minimum 8-plus years) in healthcare is required. General experience in academic, multi-specialty institutions, with some knowledge of orthopedics, is highly desirable
· Previous global experience required. Fluency in foreign language(s) is a plus.
· Partnering, negotiating, and contracting skills in all sectors of business, academia, government, and NGOs.
· Broad-based business sense, with strategic insight and proven success in creating business strategies and implementing them to achieve goals. Strong financial planning and accountability.
· Excellent business assessment skills; capable of synthesizing complex data and making sound recommendations.
· Experience resolving issues through innovative problem solving and solution development. Possesses a continuous-improvement mind-set.
· Outstanding interpersonal and relationship management skills; demonstrated success at cultivating good working relationships for/with C-suite and Boards, as well as with government officials and physicians.
· Excellent leadership skills and experience managing a department through well-established performance management skills. Proven success in developing a high-performance work environment and culture with a highly diverse workforce.
· Outstanding written and oral communication skills; ability to communicate and influence a variety of people and audiences. Experience writing compelling proposals and making effective presentations to a variety of audiences. (Writing/presentation samples will be required.)
· Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
· Proven project management skills; capable of establishing priorities and delivering high-quality work on a timely and cost-effective basis.
· Unquestionable personal integrity; exudes credibility and professionalism; quickly builds confidence in others.
· A smart, insightful, dynamic strategic leader with the necessary drive and stamina to respond to the demands of the position and working collaboratively to achieve results.
· Flexibility to travel when required.
The compensation and comprehensive benefit package is competitive.
APPLICATIONS AND REFERRALS:
Applicants should send a current resume in Word format and a summary of relevant experience/credentials to:
Senior Engagement Director
3D Leadership, LLC
HSS is committed to diversity among its employees and encourages candidates from all backgrounds to apply.